Monday, July 30, 2018

Boot straps

I have a funny little observation.
It's about the two posts I shared at the same time. One was sweet, one was salty.
I can see how many times the posts have been clicked, and ya'll should know: you prefer salty.

The next post was difficult to write, I'm sure difficult to read and definitely difficult to live! I've been working on this post, for over a week now, as a sort of antidote.

So, I'm going to dream a little today. Dominic is getting hours worth of infusions, he's comfortably bundled in a bed, and peering over his shoulder, I see he's looking at football stats. (Soccer for all of us Yanks.) That's a wonderfully encouraging thing to see.

A friend of ours is in Finland right now. (Well, was...I began writing a week ago!) It reminds me that something on my bucket list is to see the Northern Lights. Dominic dreamed of taking me to Paris all through the last year, and I wouldn't say no. But my heart leans toward the celestial just now. Or toward nature. Mountains and stars. The universe is vast and beautiful and bigger than this thing we're fighting right now.

You know I have boot straps. And you know I'm not afraid to use them. Again and again. Some days are hard. Lately very hard. But I can't live there!

So I'm working on picking up where we left off. Dominic and I looked at photos the other day. We talked about who he is, and how who he is today is not who he is. This is just an aberration for now. The nurse this morning got a little teary eyed as she remarked he is still just the sweetest man, even as he endures more than most will ever in their life have to. That speaks volumes.

I remind myself that this too shall pass. Not quickly enough, but just as nothing gold can stay, nothing this grueling can stay either.

But just because I haven't lost my sense of humor, I have to laugh. When we arrived this morning, the nurse said, "I hope you don't have any plans today." She must be joking...surely she must be joking! Our plans for the next several, several days are to get Dominic strong again. This is not a vacation. (Though I'm still dreaming of room service!)

And for all you salty folk, I need people to stop being so helpful. Just stop already! Does that make me the worst person ever?
Our first trip into the infusion center without Mom's help, I was just getting the hang of wheelchair, walker, bags etc...he and I negotiate between the two, because walking is ideal.  He'd just transferred into the chair, and it I felt kind of chaotic. So this helpful guy wants to hold the elevator for us, and I'm trying to get in with bags and an open walker and the wheel chair and I know I should have just waved him on while I pulled it together. But he insisted and I stepped in and found I couldn't move or fold up the walker because he stood right on top of me verbally giving me helpful tips about backing into elevators etc...So helpful. Maybe next time, just move?

And the nurses. God bless the nurses. How do they think Dom gets to and from his appointments? Because every day, they're full of nervous energy about whether the brakes are on (the brakes they are immovably standing in front of), or if I'm lifting with my legs, or if Dom can actually stand up. (He can). What would I ever do without them? There is constantly someone so worried I can't manage that they are just.in.my.way.

And the kids in valet parking. I'm so exhausted, my gracious plate is running low! They stand at the driver door waiting for me to get in and buckle up, and meanwhile, I'm unloading bags and folding chairs and walkers and I just need a moment. I don't need someone who means well staring at me. And I really don't need someone standing right at Dom's door staring at us. I told a guy the other day who was just hovering uselessly and I had just had bad news and he was breathing down my neck, I told him I just need to be, and I don't know, I drew an aura around me or something. Lots of hand gestures were involved because I really needed a moment. He shuffled away. I felt like a crabby old lemon, but I'm so tired. I don't need someone handing me things that I'm perfectly capable of picking up when I am ready, but that I just need to set down 3 inches over because I'm not ready for that thing yet. I don't want that right now. Do you not see me actually doing what I need to do? Is it not obvious I left the trunk open because I am not done yet? Can you not see I got this? I got this. I feel like a server with a tray full of dishes and glasses and some well meaning person puts a glass on to "help out" but the server has to gracefully hold that heavy tray and not drop it even though the careful balance has been broken.

I got this. Barely. But I got it. I'm going to keep on keeping on until there's no more chairs or walkers or appointments or drugs. Just Dom and I hopping in the car to actually drive somewhere fun.
Meanwhile, don't stop helping us with your love and encouragement. We can always do with the cheer team.  And there's a lot of big things I don't have. I'm grateful for the big things. And really, I am grateful for the small things too.

And speaking of the big and small....We  are being sneaky! We went home last night! Kim is an amazing friend, and her home is so very peaceful. She and I would sit in her back yard and even in the extreme heat, it was just so comfortable. And the plants in her yard were so soothing to me. Such a great soft landing.

But, there's no place like home. I could unpack our bags, and stop hauling the beanie and leather gloves that somehow made it to the hospital in the middle of summer. I could sort through the piles of things I had for all the different living situations. I didn't need plastic storage containers or paper plates at Kim's, but I didn't want to leave piles of things in the car. Now it's all sorted and at home!


Home. Our neighbor/most amazing friend found someone who opened their garage full of items we would need, including a ramp for our entry. We hope this time on wheels is short, but it is our current reality. She wheeled around the house in our big wheel chair and did an incredible job making sure the re-entry would be smooth. It was. Dom fell almost right into bed. And I ran down to the garden and picked some ripe tomatoes!

The cats curled right up against Dom's legs and the weather was perfect. Dom said to me on the way in this morning that home feels really healing. It is. That was my plan all along.

There was a package containing many different chocolates shipped from a dear friend waiting there for me. The chocolates included words of encouragement and love, and offers of support that I know are truly meant.
My Grandma would always say I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. (She was a powerhouse, that woman. She did do amazing things.) Sometimes, I think I can do all things through chocolate.
But the reality is, I am held up by so many. So much encouragement, support, prayers, visioning, love, practical gifts and service. I can do all things. I cannot do them alone.

Sometimes, I may want someone to get out of my way, but really, we are ever so grateful for all of those who have stood with us on this way.




No comments: